When it comes to owning a recreational vehicle, every day can hold a new and exciting adventure. Not only does your RV allow you to experience the great outdoors, but it also provides you with all the domestic comforts of home.
However, this does not mean that your RV interior is free from criticism and you may find yourself questioning the choice of furniture inside your secondary home.
Recreational vehicles are often fitted with standard furniture, which can be uncomfortable and unattractive. And because RV furniture is known to be so dull and lifeless, you may be questioning whether you can replace it with something more fashionable and comfy.
But is it possible to redecorate your vehicle’s interior? And can you put regular furniture inside an RV?
This article will outline everything you need to know about refurbishing your recreational vehicle and if the process is even possible to complete. So why not take a look and see what you can do for your RV today.
Can You Put Regular Furniture In An RV?
The short answer to this question is yes. If you have grown tired of your RV’s outdated and unattractive furnishing, then you can replace them with regular household furniture. Although this can lead to added comfort and style, it does come with some disadvantages.
Down below we have outlined the various pros and cons of furnishing your RV interior with household furniture. We have also detailed some of the problems you may encounter during the outfitting process.
- RV furniture can often be uncomfortable, so replacing it with household furniture could provide more comfort and a chance of relaxation.
- Rv furniture is often unattractive and outdated, so replacing it with household furniture could give your vehicle a more appealing and homely appearance.
- When purchasing a new RV, the furniture inside will not be of your choice and therefore will not reflect your identity. By replacing it with regular furniture, you are giving your vehicle a sense of your own personal taste.
- Although it can look unattractive, RV furniture is designed for the vehicle and often comes with multiple purposes. So replacing it with regular furniture will mean losing these dual uses.
- Installing regular furniture can be a very time-consuming process, as you will have to remove the RV furniture and then replace it. Regular furniture can also be difficult to install in a recreational vehicle.
- Most RV dealerships will not install vehicles with regular furniture, because they understand how complicated and expensive the outfitting process can be.
Where Can I Find Regular Furniture For My RV?
When it comes to furnishing your RV with regular furniture, certain elements need to be considered first.
Replacing the vehicle’s fitted furniture can be a very complex process, but it can also be fun and rewarding when done correctly.
Before you can even consider refurnishing your RV, you will first need to measure the interior of your vehicle to get the correct dimensions you need. You can do this by following the steps that we have outlined down below.
- Take Measurements: Before searching for regular furniture, you will need to take detailed measurements of the fitted RV furniture and the areas surrounding it.
- Measure The Door: It is always important to measure the size of your RV’s door, as this will be the only way you can get the furniture into the vehicle.
- Find The Furniture: Once you have measured the RV furniture and the door, use these dimensions to find a piece that is perfect for you.
Your RV is made up of four areas, the living area, the dining area, the kitchen and the bedroom – so it is important to find furniture that is compatible with these areas. You can ensure this by following the measuring steps we previously discussed.
But what furniture will you need and where can you purchase it from? We have outlined some suggestions for you down below.
- Dinner Table
- Dinette Booths
- Kitchen Cabinets
- Bed frame
Where To Buy?
- Furniture Stores
- Thrift Stores
- Online Retailers
- In Overstock
Will Regular Home Items Work in an RV?
Yes, regular home items can often work in an RV. For example, using a regular shower curtain can provide privacy and functionality in a smaller space. With some adjustments, many household items can be adapted for use in an RV, making life on the road more convenient.
How Do I Secure My RV Furniture?
Installing regular furniture into your recreational vehicle can be a tricky and costly process, especially when you are doing it yourself. However, once it has been completed it can give your vehicle an attractive and inviting look.
The only issue is that regular furniture may be prone to tipping over or falling out of place during travel. This can happen when driving along a bumpy road or when you suddenly hit the brakes to avoid an obstruction in the road.
Luckily, there are three methods many RV drivers use to secure their furniture, and we have outlined each one down below. So that you may ensure the safety of your vehicle and your belongings.
This is arguably the most effective way to ensure the security of your furniture during travel. If you love your interior furniture and want it to stay in the same place all the time, then bolting it to the ground is the only way to go. And you can do this by using brackets and screws.
However, this method does come with some disadvantages. If you wish to bolt your furniture to the ground, then you need to make sure you know what is exactly beneath the floor. Or you could risk drilling into fluid tanks or mechanical parts that are integral to the RV’s capabilities.
A popular and non-invasive way to secure your RV furniture is by using velcro straps, which can be used to keep furniture in place during travel. Velcro straps are also a popular method because they are easy to install and can be hidden from sight.
Velcro straps also come with the added advantage of being detachable, which means you can easily rearrange your furniture once you have parked up for the night.
3. Bungee Cords
Bungee cords are also considered a popular way to secure your furniture during bumpy journeys across the countryside. Although they can look unattractive when in use, bungee cords can be easily removed and packed away when you are parked.
The only issue with bungee cords is that they are made from elastic and this means they may give your furniture some room to move around during travel. However, the movement will not be substantial and will usually amount to some basic sliding.