While there are many RV accessories you can purchase, sun shade awnings are an important addition to any RV. With the best RV sun shades, you will be able to enjoy your RV and create an attractive and comfortable area for eating, relaxing, and enjoying the beautiful scenery that surrounds you.
We know it is not always easy for RV owners to choose sun shades and awnings because there are so many things to consider. We have put together this definitive guide to help you make the right choice for your awning needs. Choosing the right sun shade will help you to expand your RV horizons and enjoy the added space and comfort these sun shades provide.
Our Top Picks for the RV Sun Shades
It is not always easy to choose the best RV sun screens because there are so many choices. As we stated above, one of the first things you must consider is making sure you have the correct measurements. Instead of being forced to wade through tons of products, we have done all the hard work for you.
From our experience as RV enthusiasts, we have narrowed down the choices to our top three. We believe these sun shade awnings are superior in design and craftsmanship and they will be the perfect addition to your RV.
Top 3 Best RV Sun Shades Awning
OUR TOP PICK
If you are looking for one of the best sun shades for RV, you cannot go wrong with this Tentproinc awning sun shade. We have found it to offer superior protection at an affordable price.
- Easy to install
- 3-year limited warranty
- Available in various sizes
- UV block with an open view
- Comes in black, brown, and blue
We really like that this RV awning offers plenty of shade and wind reduction. It blocks harmful UV rays and will keep you cooler and more comfortable, even when the heat outside is unbearable. The mesh blocks 86% of the sun’s rays but allows you to still see out, so you can enjoy the view.
This sun screen is made of heavy-duty mesh that is resistant to mold and mildew growth while offering superior UV protection. When you are ready to head back out on the road, this RV sun blocker is easy to disassemble and comes with a convenient carry bag for storage.
Overall, we agree with the RV sun shades reviews and give this one a 5-star rating. With the strong fabric mesh and UV-blocking technology, this is one of the best sun shades for RV on the market.
- Can easily be installed in minutes
- High-quality material stands up to cross winds
- Keeps temperatures much cooler and more comfortable
- The mesh protects against the sun’s rays but allows for a perfectly unobstructed view
- The anchors can become damaged over time but can be replaced
- The cording is slightly small in circumference
This sun screen awning is made of heavy-duty material that blocks UV rays and easily installs with its universal design. This black awning effectively shields you from the sun, so you can better enjoy the great outdoors in comfort.
- Simple installation
- Comes in light-blocking black
- Helps block the heat of the sun
- Includes everything you need for installation
- Tight mesh blocks light but allows you to see through
We believe this to be one of the best sun shades because it so adequately blocks the light and heat, so the outdoors is more comfortable. This sun shade easily slides on your existing awning, providing you with a screened-in experience.
The set comes with fourteen hooks that keep the sun shade secure and in place at all times. The company even offers an installation kit that includes everything you need, no matter what type of soil you are installing in.
We feel this is a sound choice among the RV sun shades and are proud to offer you this information, so you can choose for yourself. With this RV sun shade awning, you will be able to escape the heat of the sun and enjoy time spent outside of your RV.
- Easy to install on any awning
- Blocks UV ray exposure and helps control insects
- Sturdy material that holds up well to the weather
- Easy to disassemble and comes with a storage bag
- Does not offer side protection
- Measures slightly on the larger side
CAMWINGS is a company you can rely on for their RV privacy screen shades that help shield you from the sun and from prying eyes. This Best Sun Shaded for RV option will help to greatly reduce the outdoor temperature, so you are more comfortable.
- 8’ X 16’
- Gray color
- Heavy-duty polyethylene fabric
We were surprised at the strong durability and UV protection this sun shade offered for the price. It offers around a 90% shade blockage which is perfect for those who want to enjoy the outdoors without getting sunburned or feeling overly heated.
This set offers everything you need for installation and comes with bungee balls and spiral stakes for ease of use. You can remove the shade just as easily and it comes with its own storage bag.
If you are searching for one of the best sun shades for motorhome at an affordable price, make sure you check out this CAMWING awning. It is ideal for all types of RVs and will give you the sun protection and privacy you want.
- Lightweight design
- Offers added privacy
- Strong UV protection
- Easy to install and take down
- Does not fully protect against rain
Best RV Sun Shades Awning - Buying Guide
Why Do You Need an RV Sun Shade?
Although an RV sun shade certainly is not a necessity, it offers added protection against the sun’s UV rays. Not only does this awning protect you while you are outdoors, but it also provides you with heat reduction inside your RV.
RV sun shade awnings create an extra room for you to enjoy the extension of your RV in. Here, you can enjoy the outdoors, eat with family and friends, and spend time relaxing without the burn of the sun and the heat it brings.
Most people are truly amazed at just how much cooler these shades make their RV. With a shade in place, you can reduce the work of your AC system and the expenditure of gasoline to run your generator.
Before You Check Out the Best Sun Shades for your RV: What Should You Look For?
If you have never installed a sun shade on your RV, you may be wondering what you should look for when shopping for the RV sun shades. There are a few things that you should keep in mind, to ensure you are making the best choice.
- Choose a material that is heavy-duty and able to withstand wind.
- The sun shade should offer over 80% UV reduction.
- The sun shade awning should be easy to install and remove.
- It is important the sun shade works with all types of awnings.
- The sun shade must come with the proper accessories for installation.
How to Easily Install RV Sun Shades
Although you could pay someone to professionally install your RV sun shade awnings, the process is not difficult and you can save a lot of money installing them yourself. Follow these simple steps and the installation process will be a breeze.
- Make sure you properly measure your RV before you purchase an RV sun blocker. First, you will need to measure along the entire length of the railing shell frame.This will be the width of the awning. Next, measure from the ground, all the way up to the top railing and this will be the height. If you have measured correctly, you can easily purchase the best awning and will find installation is easy.
- Installing the track for the awning is the most important step in the installation process. The hardware that comes with the awning kit should screw or bolt directly into the RV shell. Although it is important to properly tighten the bolts or screws, we do not recommend you use a power tool or you could inadvertently over-tighten and strip the bolts and screws. Hand tightening is best for ensuring the track is properly installed.
- With the track in place, you can now unroll your beautiful new awning and slide it into the upper arms. Make sure to adjust the tension on both sides until the awning is taut.
- Now, simply unfold the support legs and secure them in place. Most RV awning kits come with bottom brackets that can be used to secure the awning when in use. Some people prefer to stake their awning support legs into the ground. No matter which you choose, make sure your supports are fully secure.
Frequently Asked Questions
When it comes to choosing the best sun shade for travel trailers, most people have some questions they need to be answered before they make a choice. We are here to offer you some of the most frequently asked questions and their answers, so you will be better informed.
Does a sun shade offer full privacy?
No. Even a sun shade that is not see-through mesh is not going to offer full privacy. The only way you will achieve this level of privacy is by purchasing a room addition that zips closed much like a tent and offers a fully private fabric.
Will I need help with the installation?
Not necessarily. When installing an RV sun shade, it never hurts to have an extra pair of hands, though some people are able to install their shade without any help. Some people will likely need a small stepladder to ensure they can install the shade properly.
Are RV sun shades hard to clean?
No. While the sun shade is installed, you can simply hose it down. These sun screens are typically made of mesh that is resistant to mildew growth and storing them properly will help to keep them clean.
We have given you quite a lot of information to process. Now, you know why you need a sun shade and how to properly install it. You also know about some of the best brands on the market. Please feel free to click through our links and read up on each sun shade before you make your choice. From our research, you will not go wrong, no matter which of the best RV sun shades you choose.