The Chrysler Hemispherical 5.7 engine popularly known as Hemi is a set of V8 and six-straight gasoline engines manufactured by Chrysler Corporation. The 5.7 hemi is so-called because of its hemisphere-shaped cylindrical head, which makes the combustion chamber more efficient, resulting in minimal heat loss. Chrysler manufactured and marketed three distinct types or generations of Hemi-engines.
The 5.7L Hemi is the third-generation and the latest gasoline engine that Chrysler designed exclusively for the Dodge Ram 3500, 2500, and 1500 pickup trucks. Later on, the Hemi 5.7 was made available for other pickup truck models such as Chrysler 300C, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and Dodge Durango. If you own a pickup truck outfitted with a 5.7 Hemi engine, then you’d need the best oil for 5.7 hemi to enable the engine to perform smoothly for years.
So, which is the best oil for the Hemi 5.7 engine? In this review, we’ll explore six best 5.7 Hemi oil brands complete with a buying guide so that you can choose the one that best fits your needs.
We have reviewed some of the most popular best oils for your 5.7 Hemi. The reviews give an insight into the kind of options available and help you select the one which suits your requirement as well as your budget. Let us have a look at some of the options below.
Top 6 Picks for Best Oil for 5.7 Hemi Engine
OUR TOP PICK
Liqui Moly 2259 Special Tec AA 5W-20 is high-quality synthetic motor oil recommended for use with Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Kia, Nissan, Mitsubishi Dia Queen, Chrysler MS-6395, and Ford WSS-M2C 930-A/945/945-B1, and GM 6094 M.
This premium quality motor oil has been specially designed and formulated for use with American and Asian gasoline engines.
The motor oil formulated and processed from pure natural petroleum and reinforced with quality additives is perfect for heavy-duty use in high-performance vehicles and in between extended intervals of oil changes.
Certified as the fully synthetic base oil, the Liquid Molly tends to be a natural choice for the latest models of SRT vehicles. This is one of the best synthetic oils for 5.7L Hemi that has been painstakingly designed and formulated for all weather use.
- Designed and formulated for use in gasoline engines of Asian and North American make
- Stabilized with meticulously prepared additives
- Compatible for use with up-to-date SRT vehicles
- Formulated from natural fossil fuel
- Helps reduce and minimize frictional losses
- Offers full protection to the engine’s internal components
- Being 100% pure, the oil keeps the engine fully lubricated and clean
- Caters to automotive industry recommendations including SAE and API
- Resists thinning when driving in scorching weather and does not coagulate while motoring in cold conditions
- Not suitable for use with engines of new vehicles
The Royal Purple ROY 51520 5 Quart High-Performance Synthetic Motor Oil is companionable with all heavy-duty motor vehicles and backward compatible with API CJ-4, CH-4, CI-4, and CI-4 Plus service category engines.
This API-approved engine oil from Royal Purple evenly blends high quality base oils with patented additive technologies resulting in the development of performance-oriented motor oils, which boost up engine performance.
The American Petroleum Institute-certified motor oil offers excellent protection as well as enhances the performance of both diesel and gasoline engines.
Royal Purple’s synthetic oils comply with warranty specifications of the majority of a light pickup truck and passenger car models marketed in North America.
You do not need to follow any particular procedure or process when upgrading or graduating to Royal Purple. Royal Purple suggests that you should wait till it is time for your new vehicle’s (for both diesel and petrol engines) first planned oil change. The oil features superior additive technology that thwarts contact between metallic parts.
- Low co-efficiency of friction
- API tested and certified synthetic motor oil
- Companionable for using with heavy-duty petrol and diesel engines
- Premium-quality base oils concocted with proprietary additive technologies
- Shields engine from rust and everyday wear and tear
- Offers all-round protection to the expensive catalytic emission system
- Boosts fuel efficiency leading to improved mileage as the oil acts both as a fluid and lubricant
- Infused with patented additive technology, the oil checks white sludge formation typical in ethanol-based fuels
- Not apt for using in old vehicles; you may have to change the oil after intervals of approximately 3,000 miles
This fully synthetic motor oil is recommended for use by teams participating in IndyCar race competitions and SRT engines.
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic Motor Oil enjoys a reputation of being one of the most performance-oriented synthetic engine oils.
This motor oil has been designed and engineered innovatively that easily surpasses regular fuels when it comes to regulating volatility and maintaining performance in low temperatures.
This synthetic oil makes the most of Exxon Mobil’s groundbreaking PurePlus Technology that involves the conversion of natural gas into a fully synthetic base oil of premium quality.
Since this full synthetic oil has been extracted, formulated, and processed from natural gas, the base oil is pure up to the extent of 99.5%.
- Protects horsepower
- Improves fuel economy
- Unrivaled protection from wear and tear
- Performs excellently in inclement weather
- Specially formulated for delivering quicker flow at shallow temperatures
- Resists against thinning with the engine getting heated when driving in scorching weather
- Makes the most of PurePlus gas-to-fluid Technology together with an advanced additive package
- Prevents sludge development and accumulation, thereby keeping the engine clean
- May not deliver the mileage as claimed by the manufacturer
The Full Synthetic Pennzoil Motor Oil from Exxon Mobil is one of the best synthetic oil for Hemi 5.7 engine and also for RAM cargo vans, and pickup trucks.
Every droplet of the 7 quarts (6.4L) of full synthetic Pennzoil Motor Oil makes the most of the patented Pure plus Technology for keeping your engine running smoothly.
This Pennzoil motor oil is heavy-duty synthetic engine oil that has been formulated from pure natural gas and carefully processed to furnish all-round protection to the engine.
The proprietary PurePlus Technology entails converting natural gas to fluid and has been hailed as a revolutionary technology. This motor oil is a premium quality full synthetic base oil that has a crystal clear consistency with hardly any impurities.
- Reinforced with PurePlus Technology
- Performance-oriented synthetic motor oil
- Free of impurities
- Companionable with Dodge RAM pickup trucks and freight vans
- Makes the most of signature PurePlus Technology for ensuring engine runs smoothly
- Performance-driven motor oil refined from natural petroleum for offering thorough protection to engine
- Premium quality oil formulated using PurePlus Technology that transforms natural gas into a top-grade synthetic base oil
- Not compatible for use with rotary-styled engines
The MOPAR 68218891AC Engine Oil is one of the most heavy-duty conventional motor oils specially designed for Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler, and Alfa Romeo, SRT, and Fiat engines.
This conventional or regular engine oil has been formulated with meticulous care and meticulousness to boost engine performance as well as extend its useful life.
MOPAR 68218891SC engine oil, designed and created precisely, keeps the engine of an assorted range of vehicles well-lubricated, thereby preventing pistons and other components from coming into contact. Since this motor oil prevents various parts of the engine from rubbing against each additional friction is minimized,
which eventually allows the driver to run more efficiently. Additionally, the engine oil protects your vehicle’s engine from the adverse effects of overheating when you are driving for long. The oil also goes a long way in helping keep a tight leash over operational and maintenance costs. You reap the benefit of fuel economy as you get more mileage for every liter of petrol or diesel.
- Caters to ILSAC GF-5 performance standardizations
- OEM motor oil companionable with Chrysler, Dodge RAM, Jeep, Alfa Romeo, Porsche, Mercedes, and other high-performance vehicles
- Also backward compatible with all earlier ILSAC standards
- Meets specifications of Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395
- Specially formulated conventional oil
- Ideal for using with Chrysler 5.7 Hemi, Dodge, Fiat, Alfa Romeo, and other high-performance cars
- Painstakingly formulated to boost up engine performance and improve fuel efficiency
- Checks sludge formation and keep the engine well lubricated and clean
- Compatible for use with fuels containing ethanol
- Furnishes engine and emission system protection
- Susceptible to a breakdown in extreme heat and diminished lubrication in frigid temperatures
- Leaves behind noxious sludge which is environmentally toxic
The J1A9506-D Motor Oil Change Kit from Blau is compliant with all 2014-2017 models of Dodge Ram 1500 with an 8-cylinder 5.7L Engine.
If you’re looking for the best oil for the 5.7 Hemi engine fitted under the hood of your Dodge Ram pickup truck or Chrysler 300C, then look no further than BLAUJ1S9506-D.
This top-grade synthetic motor oil has been designed and engineered in Germany, taking advantage of the pioneering CleanSynto Technology. The CleanSynto technology involves processing and refining natural petroleum to create superlative synthetic base oils.
To further enhance the quality of the synthetic oil, highly developed and sophisticated German innovated additive package has been added, making the oil surpass other motor oils from the perspective of performance. This fully synthetic oil keeps the engine thoroughly lubricated for the long interval between oil changes.
- Designed and created in Germany
- Reinforced with CleanSynto technology
- Formulated and refined from superior base oils
- Reduces drag and minimizes seepage
- Supported by CleanSynto technology, ensures the engine is well lubricated for the interregnum between oil change
- Checks deposition of dirt, sludge & impurities
- Facilitates efficient use of gasoline, thus increasing fuel mileage
- Brings down harmful emissions from the engine, thereby extending the engine’s functional life
- High viscosity level decreases frictional losses, drag, and leakage
- May not resist lead in the fuel suspension which could be a problem if you drive an outdated vehicle model
Best Oil for 5.7 Hemi Engine Buying Guide
Choosing the Best Oil for 5.7 Hemi
The Hemi 5.7L engine installed in your Dodge pickup truck or Chrysler 300C vehicle has been designed with meticulous care for heavy-duty performance. So, if you’re using a brand new vehicle or looking to change the oil in your existing car, you’ll have to feed the engine with the best engine oil for Hemi 5.7. However, the task of selecting the right oil type for your vehicle could turn out to be quite daunting, as so many options are available.
Though the availability of so many engine oil alternatives could overwhelm and puzzle you, there’s a simple way out of the quagmire: refer to your vehicle’s manual. For a start, the owner’s manual will mention the weight of oil. Hence, always buy branded motor oil having the recommended or prescribed weight featuring the starburst logo, which certifies that the same has been approved by API (American Petroleum Institute).
Identifying with and appreciating the labels
Before you decide on the best engine oil for your Hemi 5.7, carefully read the fine print on the container. You’ll see this labeling on every container of established and reputed engine oil brands. Generally, you’ll find two labels on the container-the the API donut and the Starburst pictogram tags.
The API donut indicates if the engine oil fulfills the current or the latest SL service evaluations or ratings. If you spot a “C” mark, then it signifies that the motor oil has been tested for use with diesel engines. The donut mentions the ‘Society of Automotive Engineers’ (SAE 5W-30 or 10W-40 and so on) viscosity number, indicating that the oil has cleared the Energy Conservation assessment.
Viscosity is another crucial factor that you should take into consideration before choosing a motor oil brand for your Hemi 5.7L. You’ll see an alphanumeric number like 5W-30 or 10W-40, where the first number (5 or 10) is the rating in Fahrenheit followed by W, which stands for ‘winter’ and the second number (30 or 40) represents the oil’s resistivity rating.
Any oil or lubricant thins when it is heated and becomes denser or thickens on cooling. Therefore, blending the engine oil with the appropriate additives enables it to resist thinning excessively in high temperatures as well as stand firm against becoming overly viscous when it’s too cold.
Should You Go for Conventional Oil or Full Synthetic Oil?
There are four different types of motor oil available in the automotive market: conventional oil, full synthetic oil, synthetic blend oil, and high-mileage oil.
You should check with your vehicle’s guidebook and read the instructions outlined by the manufacturer for getting an idea as to the type of oil that’ll work with your vehicle’s engine. Other factors that will influence your choice of motor oil include the vehicle’s make and model, its age, the climate in your area, and your driving habits.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is so Unique About the Generation III Hemi 5.7 Engine?
Chrysler pioneered the engine design with a hemispherical-styled internal combustion chamber in the 1950s. The Gen III Hemi 5.7 engine was the latest in the line of hemispherical engines that was launched by Chrysler in 2003. The 3rd generation Hemi 5.7 with a 345 horsepower rating was designed specifically for Dodge Ram pickup trucks.
This 3rd gen Hemi is available in four distinct cubic-inch displacements of 392, 376, 370, and 345 but are more prevalent in their metric correspondents: 6.4L, 6.2L, 6.1L, and 5.7L. Though not as hemispherical as the previous two generations of Hemi engines, the design was retained in the 3rd generation for integrating big ports and valves. The structure also comes with a coil-on-plug ignition system with two spark plugs for each cylinder to reduce the distance the flame has to cover, thus resulting in better combustion and decreased emissions.
What Purpose Does Engine Oil Serve?
Engine oil is indispensable for lubricating the components of the engine and keeping the engine cool so that the car can run efficiently. The motor oil also lubricates the exhaust valves that become exceedingly hot in due course. A periodic oil change is necessary to prevent the accumulation of sludge and dirt that could damage the engine.
Which Type of Engine Oil Should you use for Hemi 5.7?
You should check with your vehicle’s manual and carefully go through the manufacturer’s recommendations for understanding the engine oil type your Hemi 5.7 needs.
Are Full Synthetic Oils Expensive?
Full synthetic engine oils are expensive, apparently speaking. But if you take the mileage (which you get from synthetic oil) into account before it is time for an oil change, then it works out cheaper than conventional or synthetic blend oils.
In this best oil for 5.7 Hemi review, we assessed six high-quality motor oil brands: Liqui Moly, Royal Purple, Pennzoil Ultra Premium, Dodge Ram, Mopar, and Blau. Liqui Moly, Royal Purple, and Pennzoil Ultra are remarkably affordable despite being full synthetic engine oils. Blau and Dodge RAM are more compatible for use with heavy-duty and high-performance vehicles outfitted with 5.7L Hemi engines.