Off-roading can be an exhilarating adventure for most people, but it does not come without challenges. People who are new to the adventure should be sure to know all the essentials that will be needed to ensure that their off-roading experience is safe for them, as well as fun. Perhaps many experienced off-roaders have a list of their own of what is essential with variations that may be specific to each off-roader’s unique tastes.
However, these ten things are sure to be found in just about every off-roader’s must-have list: tools of communication, an ample amount of food and drink, a good staple of first aid supplies, wood for emergency situations, gear for signaling emergencies, lots of extra clothing, the best tires for off-roading, safety-equipment, a spotting partner, and a good deal of common sense. [PS. Don't overlook our recommended oil for dodge ram 1500 5.7 hemi here, if you own one!]
A Look at the Ten Essentials
- It is important to be able to communicate with people at all times when a person goes off-roading, since one never knows what to expect. This includes having a powerful two-way communication radio where help can be reached in times of an emergency. Cellphones are useful but may fail if the off-roader is in an area where there is a weak signal or no signal from a tower.
- Important to anyone participating in a venture such as off-roading is plenty of food and drink, and this will also include having a good camping stove to use to heat the food. A two-burner stove, such as one might use in a recreational vehicle is ideal for the off-roader, and the user should purchase a stove that is rated the safest to use.
- First aid supplies must not be traveled without, even by the most daring off-roader. This would include supplies such as various kinds of band-aids, antibiotic ointments, antihistamines, surgical tape, and alcohol pads or wipes.
- It would not hurt the off-roader to take along plywood for use in case of getting stuck in the mud. The plywood can be used to put under the tires to help give the vehicle traction.
- Gear for signaling emergencies, such as emergency flares, will be things an experienced off-roader would have. A beginner should follow suit and also carry items needed for signaling.
- Extra clothing may seem like a drag to have to carry around, especially when a person is only thinking about having fun and more fun off-roading. However, if the vehicle fails and the person is stuck in a situation where the temperatures are dropping rapidly, he or she will be thankful for the extra clothes that were brought along.
- No serious off-roader would be treated seriously if he or she did not ensure that the best tires for off-roading were on their vehicle. Such tires should be of the strength to handle the various terrain that an off-roader will experience. In addition, it is a good idea to have extra tires along just in case they are needed. Depending on where one is off-roading, it may be difficult to find a car camping idea
- Safety equipment is always carried by people who do professional off-roading and beginners should not take a different path by not having the equipment. Fire extinguishers are a good example of equipment that should be carried along. Flashlights are another part of the safety equipment package to have.
- Off-roading can be a fun venture, but no person should go on a trip without having a camping gear and spotting partner, or someone who can be of assistance when needed. Going on such a trip alone is strongly discouraged, especially for the inexperienced off-roader who has no clue to what to expect.
- Finally, no off-roader would dare to go on a trip without having plenty of common sense. Safety first is always paramount, and the safety of others who are with the off-roader is key, as well. A little common sense goes a long ways in keeping everyone safe as well as happy.
These are just a few of the items that will help the novice off-roader enjoy his or her experience in the adventures. Following these guidelines will help the off-roaders to enjoy their off-roading experiences for years to come. Please take a look to our reviews for bushcraft gears or RV Lock for safety if you need.